My second video is up on my YouTube channel and this recipe is BOMB, crispy tofu tossed in a sweet and tangy sauce with broccoli and red peppers served with rich, fluffy coconut rice. I love love love this recipe. It’s healthy, it’s super flavorful and it’s delicious, what more could you ask for?
There are also oh so many possible substitutions to fit your needs. You could sub the broccoli and red peppers with your fave veggies as long as they cook relatively fast, for example, mushrooms, zucchini, green beans, etc. If you aren’t vegan, you could use honey instead of maple syrup, and if you want to make it a bit healthier, use brown rice instead of white and add another cup of water. Finallllly, if you’re gluten-free, make sure to use tamari instead of soy sauce.
I also tried a different style with this video. It’s more like the recipe videos that are all over Facebook that don’t have any talking and are much shorter. I would love to get some feedback to find out what people like so if you could tell me which style (the 1st or the 2nd video) you like better in the comments here or on YouTube, that would be super helpful.
Ok, here’s the video!
Again, any feedback is much appreciated and please give the video a thumbs up and subscribe to my channel if you like what you see!
Crispy tofu tossed in a sweet tangy sauce with tender broccoli and red peppers served with rich and fluffy coconut rice. This is the perfect healthy weeknight dinner, or lunch to take to work or school!
- 15 oz FIRM tofu
- 1 lb broccoli
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup soy sauce (use tamari for gluten-free)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup*
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups white rice
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- sesame seeds (optional)
- 1. Put rice, coconut milk and water in a rice cooker and cook on white rice setting. Or put rice, coconut milk and water in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- 2. Drain tofu, cut into 1/4" slabs and pat dry.
- 3. Heat a large frying pan over medium heat and add olive oil. When hot, add tofu slabs in a single layer. When one side is golden brown and crispy, flip. When crispy on second side, remove tofu from pan and let cool.
- 4. Mix all sauce ingredients in a bowl.
- 5. Cut broccoli into florets, cut red bell peppers into 1" pieces and cut tofu into 1" squares..
- 6. Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add the broccoli and red bell peppers and 1/4 cup of water. Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- 7. Add the sauce and tofu and stir well. Cook for a few minutes and when sauce has thickened, remove from heat.
- 8. To serve, add some coconut rice to a bowl and top with broccoli-tofu mixture. Sprinkle with sesame seeds if desired.
*If you aren't vegan, you can substitute maple syrup with honey.