This has been a crazy last couple weeks for me! Two big things have happened and I’m so excited to share them with you. First, I’m sad but also excited to say that I quit my job as a sushi chef at Nara and second, I bought a car!
Leaving Nara was incredibly difficult. I absolutely loved the people I worked with and will truly miss going to work and spending time with them everyday. Koji and Fumi were fantastic teachers; they were so kind and patient. I learned so much and I am certainly a much better chef for working there. I will miss the friendships I made at Nara dearly. Here is me and Fumi (left) and Koji (right) on my last day.
So, this is why I’m sad, however, I’m also really excited because I left Nara so I can have more time to devote to my YouTube channel and this blog! Now, I’ll be able to really focus on making this blog and my videos the best they can be. I’ll finally have time to post regularly and do all the things I’ve been wanting to do for a long time but just haven’t had time. I love developing and testing recipes and sharing them with everyone, so I’m insanely excited to be able to do that all the time now.
As I mentioned earlier, I also bought a car. Don’t get too excited though. It’s nothing fancy, just a super old car with bubbling purple window tint (that I’ve been removing with a clothes steamer all weekend), a cracked windshield (that I just got fixed) and dashboard lights that don’t work so I have to put my phone flashlight on the dash to see how fast I’m going at night… BUT, it runs, soooo, there’s that. I’m pretty excited about it. 😊
Okay, FINALLY, these jalapeño corn fritters are crispy little flavor bombs and they’re really easy to make. They only have 5 ingredients and they take less than 15 minutes to throw together. On top of that, they’re not too bad for you. The flax adds some omega 3’s and they’re pan-fried, as opposed to the typical deep-frying method.
I highly recommend adding some cheese or nutritional yeast to the batter to make it even more delicious. You can also adjust the amount of jalapeño, to make it more or less spicy to your tastes.
These fritters are crispy little flavor bombs, serve with sour cream and fresh lime for an ultra-satisfying snack or appetizer!
- 1 Tbsp ground flax
- 3 Tbsp water
- 2 Tbsp cornmeal
- 1/4 tsp salt
- half a fresh jalapeño*
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 cup fresh corn
- Optional - 1 Tbsp nutritional yeast or 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- To serve - sour cream (vegan or not), fresh lime wedges
- 1. Mix ground flax and water in a small bowl and let sit for a few minutes.
- 2. Add cornmeal, salt and jalapeño to a food processor and process until jalapeño is minced. Then add the flax and water mixture and lime juice and process until combined. Next add the corn and pulse 3-4 times to roughly chop the corn and bring the batter together. Transfer batter to a bowl. If adding nutritional yeast or cheese, add it here and mix it in with a fork.
- 3. Heat a large skillet on medium heat and add a couple tablespoons of oil. Once hot, add the batter by the heaping tablespoonful, using the back of the spoon to flatten them out a bit. Let cook for 3-4 minutes, and flip. Once both sides are golden brown, remove fritters from pan and serve immediately with sour cream (vegan or not) and fresh lime wedges!
*Adjust jalapeño to make it more or less spicy to your tastes. The amount in the recipe is medium spiciness.