Guess what guys? I joined a women’s club ultimate frisbee team about a month ago and this weekend I am playing in my first tournament! I’ve been playing in city leagues for ultimate frisbee for a few years now but I finally decided to play competitively this year and I’ve gotta say, I am ridiculously excited to play this weekend. It’s been so much fun getting to know the team and learning about ultimate.
When I haven’t learned a new skill in a while, I forget how good and exciting it feels. It’s tough and frustrating sometimes of course, because making mistakes is never fun. But sticking with it and making progress is so rewarding, and it’s hard to remember that sometimes when you’re just starting out.
Okay, on to these chickpea caesar wraps. These wraps are meant to be a healthy riff on the classic chicken caesar wrap that you see on so many restaurant menus. I made a homemade, vegan, cashew-based caesar dressing that is SOOO good and then I mix that with mashed chickpeas, chopped romaine and kale and wrap it all up in a whole wheat tortilla with some avocado. These only take about 30 minutes to throw together and they would be great for meal prepping as they last a few days in the fridge. In fact, I’m making a bunch of these before I leave so I have healthy, filling meals on the drive and on tournament day!
As far as substitutions, you could replace the romaine and kale with any lettuce you like. If you do use kale, make sure that you massage it; this is a very important step. If you don’t, it will be chewy and bitter! I did try adding english cucumber, but I liked it better without. If you want some crunch though, you could add a couple slices. Finally, to make this gluten-free, just use gluten-free tortillas!
This delicious wrap is super fresh and flavorful, perfect for an easy quick lunch to take to work or school!
- For the dressing
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1/4 cup chickpeas
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tsp dijon
- 1.5 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbsp capers
- 1/2 tsp salt
- For the wraps
- 100 g kale (about 5 or 6 leaves)
- 200 g romaine (about one small or half of a large romaine heart)
- 2 cups chickpeas
- 4 large whole wheat tortillas
- 1 avocado
- 1. Put all dressing ingredients in blender and blend until smooth.
- 2. Mince the kale, put it in a large bowl and add a teaspoon of oil and a 1/4 tsp salt. Massage the kale until the volume has decreased by half.
- 3. Chop the romaine, add it to the bowl with the kale, drizzle on half the dressing and toss until evenly coated.
- 4. Put the chickpeas in a medium bowl, drizzle on half of the dressing that is left (1/4 of the total recipe), and mash the chickpeas with the dressing.
- 5. Compose the wraps. Lay out a tortilla, add 1/4 of the chickpea mixture, 1/4 of a sliced avocado, and 1/4 of the lettuce mixture. Fold the sides in and roll it up like a burrito. Cut in half and serve with the leftover dressing on the side!